21 Haziran 2012 Perşembe

WHY DID WE GO OUT (D77)

I started this tiny, cobwebbed corner of the internet to talk about all the TYCDIGS (Things You Can't Do In Grad School), and to countdown to the days when I will again join the ranks of those who do little else other than read dense social theory, sleep in libraries, annoy the shit out of everyone else not in their little grad club, and engage in elaborate self-hate rituals. To cleanse my soul before departing on said journey, I found it fitting to do as many of the things I CDIGS as possible. In theory a bit like a gap-year rumspringa, interpreted at times by such jejune enjoyments as ALL VODKA WATERMELON ALL THE TIME, which was really only one time but you get the idea.

Enter this article, with the apt and timely (in this NON GRAD life) title "Why Go Out," part of the adorable Toronto lecture series "Trampoline Hall." (Trampoline Hall is the cutest idea ever - gather people in a bar and get a few of them to deliver prepared lectures on topics completely outside of their areas of expertise.) In the end, this little charmer of a speech acknowledges that you do indeed need to "go out." But the first few paragraphs are a great read for anyone who is more than a little tired of it. I love this part:
At home, you can wear your pyjamas. No one is going to snub you or disappoint you. At Trampoline Hall, you could be snubbed or disappointed. The whisky is not cheap. It is less depressing to think the same thoughts you thought yesterday than to have the same conversation you had last week. Few of us will get laid. Why did we go out? My father never goes out. His emotional life is absolutely even keel. He is a deeply rational person. He doesn’t see the advantages.
The same conversation you had last week! If I had a kuruş...

Is my rumspringa peaking early?! But I have the whole summer to get through! Why have I started reading Lefebvre? It is not yet my time! Bring on the VODKA WATERMELON and let me live out my summer in peace! Oh, but Henri understands me.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder