29 Mayıs 2012 Salı

Scott vs Dick (D51-54)

In the past week I've read A Scanner Darkly and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and all I really wanna do is go back before my birth to give a big hug to my kindred spirit Philip K Dick, and say hey, man, it's all gonna be ok...really! Even though it probably really isn't. I also watched Bladerunner and I'm quite upset the only fake animal that made it into the whole film was a snake (although jr's toys were pretty cool), but I'm also fairly disappointed that I will never get to meet the Harrison Ford of the 80's.


SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
Ridley says Deckard is a replicant and it's written in the origami, but some further proof of Dick's hope for humanity is that he wrote Deckard as tough man with a huge soft spot for fake toads and androids. Also he at least wrote some sex into the novel whereas Ridley gave us nothin' aside from declaring one of the androids a "pleasure model" and having her try to kill Deckard with the sheer strength of her theighs
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

As I continue my exploration of California authors, time for the Crying of Lot 49, and then perhaps I'll dip back into some Raymond Chandler.



The weekend is now far behind me but in line with the mission of this blog (the documentation of a NON GRAD life), I will describe it here:  bringing in the first weekend of summer (I so declare) by dancing around to this kind of stuffScot, eating decent Thai food, meyhane-ing, critiquing the form of the fishermen on the Galata Bridge while eating Gavur Dağı Salatası.

1 yorum:

  1. things you can't do in grad school: skip work to go to a lunch dance. or i guess you probably *could*, but wouldn't, because you'd be responsible then until you went crazy.

    YanıtlaSil