4 Mayıs 2012 Cuma

WE ALL HAVE OUR REASONS (D29)

Last night I attended an event called "Free Beer". I hadn't been to one of those since college but it was just as fun as I remember. Perhaps even better, and that is because the owner of Cheers is pretty fucking great.

At said event I met a poor soul who was considering the GRAD LIFE. Although he currently has some sort of job in finance (but not as good of a job as his friend, also in attendance, who "used to work at Barclays" and wears "$300 socks" [leading us to wonder what a guy with $300 socks is doing at a Free Beer night]), all he really wants to do is go to school for modern European history.  He even told me what kind of research he was interested in but I had taken a bit too much Free Beer and cannot recall. It seemed sufficiently GRAD-y. I gave him a list of reasons he should not go to grad school, including, if my memory serves me correctly here, that he was single with massive earning potential and would probably bag a much hotter wife if he stayed in finance.

Then came the question, "then why are YOU going to grad school?"

Oh yes!  Well first of all, I will be a hot wife, so that reason doesn't apply to me.  But mostly it is because I am a hopeless nerd with a personal history of political radicalism that guilts me away from real jobs and I prefer to use my few marketable skills to PUSH BACK THE BOUNDARIES OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE. Why else?

[Edit 10:57:  Officemate was also in attendance last night and is currently sleeping underneath her desk]

[Edit 15:20: I have remembered a number of other things that happened at Free Beer night, such as meeting and accidentally publically shaming T's nemesis, and then being slowly publically shamed by officemate, who spoke of and then later located some documentary footage of me circa 2005 with fake facial hair]

1 yorum:

  1. MICHAEL!!!!!!!!! he's going to be my new nemesis too, except i already gots one in the couchsurfer (though i think he left). actually, at this point i'm not so sure if he should be a nemesis or if he was just really, really short and then really, really sleepy? FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEER WIN!

    YanıtlaSil