30 Nisan 2012 Pazartesi

WEEKEND ONCE AGAIN (D23-24, BACKDATED)

Another great non-grad weekend.  Hanging out on a dark and smokey terrace watching people try to move to deep house, cafe hopping and clothes swapping, sunshine and finally watching some Game of Thrones.

I also went to a Goya exhibit that's in town. Mostly just engravings, two large and unattractive commissioned portraits and some paintings of Spanish children running around in the street. Philistine as I am I found it difficult to enjoy the more tame of Goya's works; I much prefer Saturn Devouring His Son to Maja, naked and clothed. [Note: the most extensive wikipedia article for La maja desnuda is written in...wait for it...Turkish!]

 I really liked the series of etchings called Follies or Proverbs, darkly shaded engravings depicting "folly" of all kinds: Feminine Folly, Folly of Poverty, Animal Foolishness, Loyalty... animated yet subtle depictions of moral ambiguity and dispair.

I was drawn to these two the most, Feminine Folly and People in Sacs. Look carefully in the black sheet the women are using to launch the children up in the air and you can see a dead donkey defying the laws of physics.





Some might say you can see stirrings of surrealism here but I just say how deliciously dark and delightful!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder